Skip Navigation LinksHome > Color Science > Color Vision Tests
UTC Time:  

Color Vision Deficiency (a.k.a. Color Blindness) Tests

-online since 2000

The test score processing server is temporarily down but will be running soon. We apologize for this.

Color Vision Test (V4.00) (pediatric friendly)

diagnosing all three types of color vision deficiency

Normal test time: 60 - 200 sec

diagnosing protanopia
(a.k.a. red blindness)
Normal test time: 20 - 60 sec

diagnosing deuteranopia
(a.k.a. green blindness)
Normal test time: 20 - 60 sec

diagnosing tritanopia
(a.k.a. blue blindness)
Normal test time: 20 - 60 sec

Feedacbk: I would like a smartphone version for Android   iOS

View your test data (Please note that the time stamp is in UTC  due to the tests' international popularity).

  1. Click button "=>" at the center of the test panel to begin the test.
  2. Look at the test panel consisting of color dots with one of the four shapes (square, circle, triangle and star) embedded. Click the corresponding shape in the choice panel to collect one test point. If you are unable to identify the shape, click the last choice with a question mark.
  3. Repeat step 2 until achieving satisfactory score quality ("very good" is recommended, "excellent" is the highest quality) which is displayed on the bottom-left.
  4. Click button "=>>" below the choice panels to finish the test and see the results.

The quality of the test depends on the quality of the display device (e.g. CRT).  Tom Niemann's ePaperPress is a good website for helping calibrate monitors. 

All of the reported data are simple, straight forward and self-explanatory statistical parameters except the adjusted score which is the most important number.

Adjusted score, in a nutshell, is the estimated true portion of correct response in terms of percentage. For example, an adjusted score of 80 means it is estimated that 80% of the time the testee truly knows the correct color and the rest (20%) of the time he chooses either "do not know" (i.e. the last choice with a question mark) or a shape by guess. Since there are 4 choices, a completely color blind person can get 1/4 of his responses right by randomly choosing among the four shapes. Therefore correct portion of 25% is translated to an adjusted score of 0 if "do not know" is never chosen.

It is possible to have negative adjusted score. This means the testee's color vision is even worse than complete color blindness. In other words, the wrong colors are more likely to be picked than the correct ones. In reality, the negative adjusted score is usually a result of statistical variation, especially of small sample numbers. The design of this test, due to its uniform image pattern, uniform background and random brightness, does not allow any inherent negative adjusted scores.

The protanopia (missing long-wavelength photopigment) and deuteranopia (missing middle-wavelength photopigment) tests are almost the same because the long (red) wavelength photopigment's spectral sensitivity is very close to that of middle (green) wavelength photopigment.  In other words, protanopes and deuteranopes will probably test positive on both tests.


New:

comments powered by Disqus

This is experimental. Let us see if we can have discussions with civility, respect for facts, and relevant contents truly useful for users.


Biyee Color Vision Test Pro for researchers and practitioners


Note: the following tests require Java Plug-in which is installed on most computers. You can easily find out if Java is working on your system.

Color Vision Test (V3.12)

Integrated Test

diagnosing all three types of color vision deficiency

Protanopia Test

diagnosing protanopia
(a.k.a. red blindness)

Deuteranopia Test

diagnosing deuteranopia
(a.k.a. green blindness)

Tritanopia Test

diagnosing tritanopia
(a.k.a. blue blindness)

View your test data (Please note that due to the test's international popularity, the time stamp is UTC, not local time).

  1. Click button "Start" to begin the test.
  2. Click one of the three small squares which color matches the large test pane above them. Each click is a sample point. The bottom bar shows the total test number and the score quality gauged by margin of error.
  3. Repeat step 2 until achieving satisfactory score quality ("very good" is recommended, "excellent" is the highest quality).
  4. Click button "Finish" to see the results.

The quality of the test depends on the quality of the display device (e.g. CRT).  Tom Niemann's ePaperPress is a good Web site for helping calibrate monitors. 

All of the reported data are simple, straight forward and self-explanatory statistical parameters except the adjusted score which is the most important number.

Adjusted score, in a nutshell, is the estimated true portion of correct response in terms of percentage. For example, an adjusted score of 80 means it is estimated that 80% of the time the testee truly knows the correct color and the rest (20%) of the time he just guesses. Since there are three choices, a completely color blind person can get 1/3 of his responses right by randomly picking the choices. Therefore correct portion of 33% is translated to an adjusted score of 0.

It is possible to have negative adjusted score. This means the testee's color vision is even worse than complete color blindness. In other words, the wrong colors are more likely to be picked than the correct ones. In reality, the negative adjusted score is usually a result of statistical variation, especially of small sample numbers. The design of this test, due to its uniform image pattern, uniform background and random brightness, does not allow any inherent negative adjusted scores.

The protanopia (red-blind, missing long-wavelength photopigment) and deuteranopia (green-blind,  missing middle-wavelength photopigment) tests are almost the same because the long (red) wavelength photopigment's spectral sensitivity is very close to that of middle (green) wavelength photopigment.  In other words, protanopes and deuteranopes will probably test positive on both tests.


Color Vision Test (V2.0)

  1. Click button "Start"
  2. Click the button below the small square which color you believe is closest to that of the main pane.
  3. Repeat step 2 as many times as you want (more than ten times preferred).
  4. Click button "Finish" to see the results.

Colblindor has a very readable blog explaining Color Vision Test V2.0, especially, from the view of a color deficient person.


Color Vision Test V1.0:

(sorry, this obsolete test suite is no longer available).

  • [2011-10-25] Rectangle and triangle shapes have been slightly reduced in size to give some space between them and the edges of the test panel.
  • [2011-10-25] Biyee Color Vision Test for Windows Phone was released.
  • [2011-03-02] Biyee Color Vision Test Pro (Ver. β) was released.
  • [2010-12-06] Biyee Online Color Vision Test V4 (pediatric friendly) was released.
  • [2009-05-09] Biyee Online Color Vision Test V3.12 was released with improved test score quality indicator.
  • [2009-04-24] Biyee Online Color Vision Test V3.11 was released with significant improvement of application responsiveness.
  • [2009-03-28] Biyee Online Color Vision Test V3.10 was released with the long-anticipated integrated test.
  • [2009-03-18] Biyee Online Color Vision Test V3.03 was released with added test score quality bar to indicate the test result accuracy.
  • [2009-03-17] Biyee Online Color Vision Test V3.02 was released with added test score quality gauge.
  • [2008-12-27] Biyee Online Color Vision Test V3.01 was released to accommodate a wide range of monitors and enhance accuracy.
  • [2008-12-17] Color Vision Test V3.00 was released. First revision of Biyee online color vision test suite since 2002-07-04.
  • [2002-07-04] Color Vision Test V2.0

These color vision tests are based on the confusion lines .